西西河

主题:【业届消息】SUN, McNealy又站起来乐! -- 丁不二

共:💬12 🌺11 新:
分页树展主题 · 全看首页 上页
/ 1
下页 末页
  • 家园 【业届消息】SUN, McNealy又站起来乐!

Sun's McNealy Shifts From CEO to Pitchman; Sales Rise (Update1)

By Connie Guglielmo

Oct. 30 (Bloomberg) -- Sun Microsystems Inc. founder Scott McNealy took on a new role when he quit as chief executive officer in April: corporate pitchman.

His new job may be paying off. Sun, the third-largest U.S. seller of computers that run Web sites and corporate networks, last week reported a 17 percent jump in first-quarter sales.

McNealy, who stepped down after five years of losses, said he has traveled 75,000 miles, visiting a customer a day, since passing the top job to protégé Jonathan Schwartz. Sun, which dominated during the technology boom in the 1990s, has struggled for clients since then as companies such as Dell Inc. offered cheaper machines.

``During the dot-com era, the Sun rep would call and the customer would say `Come in. I want to talk to you.' Now they say, `I don't even want to see you,''' McNealy, clad in his usual jeans and sneakers, said in an interview last month at Sun's campus in East Menlo Park, California. ``It takes somebody like me to go get in, which they do as a courtesy, and then we lay it on.''

McNealy, 51, has new products to pitch. Sun spent the past year buying companies, adding technology and reviving a product line that McNealy says lagged behind those of rivals. Schwartz meantime is cutting 5,000 jobs and closing offices.

Sales, Shares Rise

Sun posted the biggest sales gain among server makers in the past two quarters and vaulted over Dell to retake the third-place ranking it lost last year, according to research firm IDC of Framingham, Massachusetts.

The company's shares rose 6 cents to $5.56 at 12:02 p.m. in Nasdaq Stock Market composite trading. They reached a one-year high Oct. 27 and have gained 10 percent since McNealy handed the top job to the 41-year-old Schwartz. The Standard & Poor's Information Technology Index has lost 0.6 percent in that period.

Known for his cockiness and jibes about competitors -- he called the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission ``whacko'' and Microsoft's Windows a ``hairball'' -- McNealy is better suited to spokesman than CEO, analysts said.

``His weakness as a CEO is that he was stuck in a business model that he was invested in,'' said Michael Cohen, research director at San Diego-based Pacific American Securities, who personally owns Sun shares. ``The market changed.''

Merrill Lynch & Co. analyst Steven Milunovich became so concerned about McNealy that he told investors in 2003 that the CEO was steering Sun toward ``a ravine filled with carcasses.'' He said McNealy's ``brash and contrarian'' personality was getting in the way.

`Enormous Sense'

McNealy's new position makes sense, said John Doerr, one of the earliest Sun investors and a director.

``He is the very best at consultative selling: cultivate a relationship, understand and solve a problem, earn and win the business,'' said Doerr, a partner at venture capital firm Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield & Byers in Menlo Park, California. ``The role makes enormous sense.''

To keep momentum, global sales chief Don Grantham has put together a list of the top 53 customers for McNealy to pitch, including AT&T Inc., the largest U.S. telephone carrier, and General Electric Co.

``We have a lot of faith in Sun's product set and strategy, and we're certainly putting effort and money into this relationship, more than we have in the past,'' Don Rippert, chief technology officer of Accenture Ltd., said after the consulting firm expanded its partnership on Sept. 13 to develop technology with Sun. ``Their message is definitely getting clearly through to customers.''

So far, McNealy said, he's happy not to have the job of ``CEO Pinata.''

At a developers conference in May, he offered a list of the ``Top 10 Best Things About Not Being CEO.'' They included ``I don't have to apologize for stuff I say to Wall Street'' and ``I have someone to blame.''

To contact the reporter on this story: Connie Guglielmo in San Francisco at [email protected]

Last Updated: October 30, 2006 12:04 EST

• 家园 their java is deading

I am a long time java programmer although I don't know much about Sun. However there new jdk1.5 pissed me off. They don't even consider backward compatibility. jdk1.5 is totally different from 1.4. And I bet they are going to lose more java customers. And IBM will eventually take lead position of Java.

Backward compatibility should be paramount when you make new product release no matter of what excuses.

• 家园 想知道SUN现在的BIZ Model

有什么变化吗?

McNealy是个有趣的人

• 家园 【原创】有Sun的股票的话趁这次“反弹”赶紧出了吧

原因呢?就是你问的问题的答案:Sun的Biz Model有变化吗?

答案是:没有。

偶去年拜访过Sun的总部,感觉一家走下坡路的公司具备的特征Sun一个不拉全有了。一家年轻的公司,给人的印象是像是到了个百年老店。

那次是Sun的前CIO给俺们做报告,您猜他老人家重点说啥?64位RISC结构!

给咱演示,演示啥?NC!当时俺的第一感觉是他是不是好东东都藏起来了,然后忽悠俺们乡下人?谁知道不是,这就是Sun的好东东了。

Sun的Biz Model还是三位一体的老三样:免费Solaris,自主开发Chips,然后卖box。

俺举手提问:10年前64位RISC技术的确很先进,但是现在别人早就赶上来了。现在Sun是不是还有别的撒手锏?128位?别的结构?并行计算?

老人怒(真的生气了),满脸通红(显然是气的,不是羞愧的)道:“Sun的芯片技术是最先进的!64位还能领先另一个十年!”

老大!欺负俺不懂摩尔定律呀。

随后,俺们又去和Intel的高级营销VP座谈(当年Sun认为Intel根本不是一个竞争档次的),俺又把这个问题提出来。那VP同志一乐,说5年前(好像是)DEC完蛋的时候,Intel从DEC那里劫收了150多工程师,Intel对RISC一点也不陌生。其他的话他没讲,这一句就够了。(再讲估计俺也听不懂了

前年Sun想学IBM卖服务,放风说以后硬件不要钱了,大锅饭随便吃。问题是Solaris已经免费了,硬件再不收钱,那卖啥呀?

俺本人跟Sun十分有感情,回去真想大哭一场。

Sun完了。

555。。。

• 家园 抛砖引玉吧, MCNEALY也是区区喜欢的人物. 以前还

坠儿说过他象楚霸王. 当其时, 他在猛砍MICROSOFT不成,整个2000-2004没有瘦身,团队成员纷纷离去.

如果区区没有记错, 去年开始,SUN用INTEL的芯片,降低成本,但是销售还是没有上去,虽然董事会对MCNEALY的沉浸在自己创造的那套而不应变的那套不满,MCNEALY的心态还是没有摆过来,要知道,他是一个相当聪明,也相当冲的一个老头.

但是如文章所述,老麦头站起来了,让贤,裁人,重新做自己最适合的事情,见客户,开新产品.了不起! 以他的脑袋瓜子,没多久会让大家有惊喜的.

人,不光看天赋,更看他如何超越天赋..呵呵,扯远乐.

分页树展主题 · 全看首页 上页
/ 1
下页 末页

有趣有益,互惠互利;开阔视野,博采众长。
虚拟的网络,真实的人。天南地北客,相逢皆朋友

Copyright © cchere 西西河